To refer a young carer to our service, the following criteria must be met:
- The person must be a young carer. This means they must provide unpaid support for a person who has a long-term or terminal illness, a disability, mental health difficulty or misuses alcohol/substance
- The person must be 18 or under (If they are over 18, they may wish to seek support from our Adult Carers’ Service).
- Their caring responsibilities are impacting upon their life. This may be socially, emotionally, educationally or physically. Not all young carers require support. Many cope very well without support from external agencies.
- They must live in North Tyneside or be undertaking their caring role in North Tyneside.
In addition, please ensure:
- A Young Carers’ Needs Assessment is in place.
- The family are aware that you are making the referral.
For further information about the Young Carers’ Needs Assessment, visit my.northtyneside.gov.uk or call the Young Carers’ Project Team on (0191) 643 2298.