Family Support Service
We strongly feel that caring should not stop young people from getting on with their lives and living to their maximum potential. In our eyes, this means making sure carers possess their best possible physical and mental health, best possible education and access to opportunities that are of the same quality as their peers who do not have caring responsibilities. Our Family Support Worker’s job is to help young people and families get there.
Support might include:
- Getting to know you and understanding how you feel about being a carer.
- Putting you and your family in touch with other people and organisations that can help or give advice.
- Helping you and your family to understand each other’s perspective so that you can enjoy life as well as possible.
- Helping you to understand more about the illness or disability that is affecting your family.
- Making sure that caring doesn’t prevent you from doing things that you want to do, such as going out with friends, going to school/college, or getting a job.
- Helping other people in your life understand how caring affects you (maybe the people at your school). This is up to you though, and we won’t get in touch with them unless you’re happy for us to do so.
If you are a young carer or a family member in need of support, please contact the Young Carers’ Project team who will talk to you about your situation on (0191) 643 2298.
If you a professional working with a young carer and would like more information, please call us on (0191) 643 2298. To refer a young carer click here.