Online Resources For Carers During Lockdown
The current situation is bringing a range of challenges to many of us and it can be very difficult, but by following guidance on social distancing, or staying at home, you are helping to protect yourself, your family, the NHS and your community.
You may be worried about your health or the people that you care for and it is very important that you take care of your mind as well as your body during this difficult time and get further support if you need it.
The Carers’ Centre is here to listen and offer help if you want to talk – contact our advice online on 0191 643 2298.
We know that many people are feeling isolated and lonely or bored and frustrated. We are exploring ways to help carers feel connected and will be delivering activities of our own soon, so check out our website, Facebook pages and Twitter feed.
In the meantime, however we have put together a range of ideas for you to consider.
Social – staying connected
In addition to FaceTime and Skype which many people will be familiar with there are a number of apps which can be downloaded onto a phone or tablet to stay in touch with friends and family. However, it is advisable to carefully check permissions on each app and current guidance as information about using online communications is changing very quickly.
- Whatsapp – a secure service offering free calls, messages and video calling. https://www.whatsapp.com/
- Houseparty – a video chat social network which allows users to speak to up to eight friends at a time. It also has built-in games and quizzes. https://houseparty.com/
- Google Hangouts – an easy-to-use video calling option from Google. Anyone with a Google account can setup a meeting with their friends, with a maximum capacity of 25 people on the free version. https://hangout.google.com
- Duo – a simple video calling app. https://duo.google.com/about/
- Mind have resources on their website to help you look after your mental wellbeing. https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/coronavirus/coronavirus-and-your-wellbeing/
- The NHS offers tips for staying maintaining your mental wellbeing when staying at home https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/coronavirus-covid-19-staying-at-home-tips/
- Mental wellbeing audio guides https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/moodzone-mental-wellbeing-audio-guides/
Dealing with Stress – Mindfulness
- The NHS has useful information and a number of apps are offering free content e.g. Headspace or Calm. Apps can be downloaded onto your smart phone via the Apple Store or Google Play store. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/
- Tutorials available on YouTube to help you try a wide range of physical activities such as Yoga and Tai Chi. Many other organisations also offer free sessions or a free trail e.g. Glo https://www.glo.com/
- Learn to dance in the comfort of your own home – many teachers and schools are streaming lessons https://www.facebook.com/StepByStepDanceOnline/
- Keep fit – the NHS website has a range of videos to help you build flexibility and keep fit at home. Videos are also available on YouTube and many exercise coaches and celebrities have made resources available online https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio
- Learn ballet with Tamara Rojo – artistic director and lead principal dancer of the English National Ballet https://www.facebook.com/EnglishNationalBallet/videos/1130797320594193/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos
- Tips on getting a good night’s sleep https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/sleep/
- Tips to cope with anxiety https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind-matters/anxiety/
Creativity, Learning and Recreation
- Online quizzes – many local pubs are offering their weekly quiz online. Watch this space for the Carers’ Centre quiz
- Free online jigsaw puzzles e.g. https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/
- Reading – North Tyneside Libraries has a catalogue of ebooks. The Internet Archive has launched a “National Emergency Library”, making 1.4m books available free online and there are a number of other sites where you can access books free of charge.
- Sofa Singers: a 45-minute free weekly online singalong – https://www.thesofasingers.com/
- Gareth Malone’s new initiative aims to give everyone the opportunity to contribute their voices and instruments to an ambitious digital music project https://decca.com/greatbritishhomechorus/
- Watch a movie with your family and dress up as characters – See the Centre’s Facebook page and events page on our website for details of our movie nights.
- Future Learn – offers online courses in a huge range of subjects created by leading universities, business schools and specialist organisations. https://www.futurelearn.com
- Creative Writing – many organisations (including Future Learn) are offering online courses some of which are free. https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction
Tutorials available on YouTube to help you learn a wide range of new things e.g.
- Arts and crafts
- How to play a musical instrument
- Learn a language – there are also many apps which you can download onto your phone e.g. Babbel, Duolingo
- Get tuition from an expert to learn a new skill. Masterclass is an online platform that gives users access to tutorials from some of the world’s leading experts in various fields. (Fee payable.) https://www.masterclass.com/
- Gardening – the Royal Horticultural Society has a lot of useful tips on its website https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice
- Reach for the Stars – Images from NASA https://images.nasa.gov/
- Edinburgh Zoo https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/rockhopper-penguin-cam/#rockhopperpenguincam
- Georgia Aquarium https://www.narcity.com/things-to-do/us/ga/atlanta/georgia-aquarium-has-live-cameras-that-let-you-explore-from-home
- Theatre and music available online: National Theatre – https://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/nt-at-home
- Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals – YouTube channel The Show Must Go On. Each show will be available for free from 7pm on the day of release and viewers can tune in for 48 hours with further shows soon to be announced https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag
- Royal Opera House – https://www.roh.org.uk/news/the-royal-opera-house-launches-a-programme-of-free-online-content-for-the-culturally-curious-at-home
- London Philharmonic Orchestra – https://lso.co.uk/whats-on/2019-20-season/alwaysplaying.html
- Showstopper (the improvised musical) – https://www.facebook.com/theshowstoppers/videos/918352645246170/
- The Wind in the Willows – https://www.willowsmusical.com/
- New York’s Metropolitan Opera – https://www.metopera.org/
- The New York Philharmonic hosts free digital content on its website – https://nyphil.org/playson
- Vienna State Opera – https://www.staatsoperlive.com/live
- Sir Patrick Stewart reads a daily sonnet – https://twitter.com/SirPatStew
- Museums and galleries – many are offering virtual tours and online streaming so you can experience some of the best in the word without leaving your armchair:
- Tyne and Wear Museums Archive
- Discovery Museum https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/discovery-museum
- Great North Museum https://greatnorthmuseum.org.uk/visit-us/virtual-tours
- Laing Art Gallery https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/laus-veneris-edward-burne-jones/ZgGyJ1715aqcZg?fbclid=IwAR0j4HJ2UEOmCY8fy7LrllM4K8C4H5_eF-4Plgq_2zB2T3Q021YtrqjChrk
- Natural History Museum https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/natural-history-museum
- British Museum https://britishmuseum.withgoogle.com/
- Victoria and Albert Museum https://www.vam.ac.uk/collections?type=featured
- National Gallery https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/visiting/virtual-tours/google-virtual-tour
- In Rome http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/collezioni/musei/tour-virtuali-elenco.html
- Louvre in Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- Pompeii https://www.italyguides.it/en/campania/pompeii
- Musée d’Orsay in Paris https://www.touristtube.com/Things-to-do-in-Paris/Musee-d-Orsay-360
- Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/the-milkmaid-johannes-vermeer/9AHrwZ3Av6Zhjg
- Smithsonian Natural History Museum in Washington https://naturalhistory2.si.edu/vt3/NMNH/z_tour-022.html
- J Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles https://artsandculture.google.com/streetview/the-j-paul-getty-museum/cwFdGYSXlaOg6w?hl=en&sv_lng=-118.473493&sv_lat=34.0771277&sv_h=-18&sv_p=0&sv_pid=SQiOe6lNRxGuLEN-mwxVdA&sv_z=1.0000000000000004