Coronavirus Self Isolation Payments

The government is providing funding for a new Test and Trace Support Payment scheme for people on low incomes who are unable to work while they are self-isolating and are financially impacted because they cannot work from home. The scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

Individuals who are required to self-isolate and who meet the benefits-linked eligibility criteria will be entitled to £500. This will be payable as a lump sum. These payments will be subject to income tax. They will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

Who will be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment?

To be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment, an individual must:

  • have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  • be employed or self-employed;
  • be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result; and
  • be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

An individual will also need to provide the following evidence of to support their claim.

  • A notification form NHS Test & Trace asking you to self-isolate (including your unique ID number),
  • A bank statement,
  • Proof of employment, or if you are self-employed, self-employment assessment returns, trading income and proof that you cannot work from home and that you will not receive any employment or business income for the isolation period

Officials are currently in the process of setting up an online application form along with a scheme to enable these payments to be made. We are expected to have these in place by 12 October and any claim who qualifies from 28/09/2020 will be backdated.

Disclaimer: readers can rest assured this information was taken from a reputable source. To read the full article on advice and guidance please visit: