We have a Mental Health Carer Support Worker who can offer specialist support to carers who look after someone with a mental health issue.
They will discuss your situation with you so that they can understand the impact of your caring responsibilities on all aspects of your life including your health and wellbeing and finances. They will provide you with individually tailored information, advice and guidance to support you to make informed choices which are right for you including the opportunity to:
- Talk things through in a safe environment with someone who understands the challenges of being a carer
- Find out about your rights as a carer and how you can access support
- Understand how mental health services work and issues in relation to mental capacity and confidentiality
- Access advocacy support, to help you express your views and wishes
- Explore other services that may be able to support you
- Share your difficulties or concerns about managing the condition of the person you care for
- Develop coping strategies including setting boundaries and ways look after your own health and wellbeing
- Explore how you can have a life outside of caring
- Plan for the future, or an emergency
- Find out about benefits and entitlements
- Access support to gain or maintain employment, training or education
- Discover other services provided by North Tyneside Carers’ Centre such as peer support groups, training or activities
If you feel you would benefit from specialist one to one support, please contact the Centre on 0191 2496480 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.