Call Us Now: (0191) 643 2298
Donate: Support us via Just Giving

Parent Carers Rights

Practical help from Children’s Services

Every local authority must protect and promote the welfare of children in need in its area. As a parent of a child with additional needs you have the right to ask for support and have your child's and family's needs, as well as your own needs as a carer, assessed by social services.

Children and young people are eligible for support and services if they have a physical or mental impairment, which has a substantial and long-term effect on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities. This may include children with

If you or your child need support then you can contact the Children’s Disability Team who provide a Specialist Statutory Social Work Service for children and young people 0 -17 and their families in North Tyneside.

This team provides support services for disabled children aged 0 -17 years and their families. There are a variety of services that may be provided, such as:

The Social Work team will carry out a needs assessment.

Needs Assessment

If the ‘need for specialist services’ are identified, a Social Worker from the Children’s Disability team will be allocated to undertake specialist assessment, incorporating any other agencies and professionals who are involved with the child/young person.

A social worker will usually come to your home to talk to you. They should ask you for information about your child, for example details about their sleeping patterns, eating habits and how they communicates.  They will also ask about other children you look after. The assessment should always be based on your needs and those of your child, rather than what services are already available.

It is a good idea to prepare for an assessment by making a list of questions you would like to ask.  You are entitled to have a friend or advocate there with you.

If eligible needs are agreed a care plan will then be created and implemented, and a care team formulated to coordinate the plan and review the outcomes


If you would like to find out more information about Parent Carers Rights, please contact the Centre on (0191) 643 2298.


   If someone depends on you, you can depend on us.